Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Someday...

I used to think that girls these days are so materialistic. But as I grow up, I find myself being one of those girls too. Which girl does not like carrying a Chanel (or your favourite brands) walking around the streets of Orchard or even on a lazy day? Maybe the changing society is the culprit and the cause of materialistic girls. I can't believe I grew to be one too.

Just then when I was reading an article about finances, I told myself that I would like to be my parents someday. Most people including me, finds joy after a purchase of a branded item. That's happiness. But it dawned upon me that my parents' happiness is just building a happy home and watching their kids grow up. And watching their investments grow. That's their kind of happiness. Never have they splurge on anything because they do not believe in brands. I really look up to them because they think far, unlike us who go for short term gains like material wants and unnecessary luxury which could be easily replaceable.

Everyone's been asking me what is my parents' gift to me for my 21st. I don't have a gold necklace or a gold key, or anything else. Just a newly open investment account under my name and a lump sum of money. I thank my parents for teaching me the value of money and the importance of investment.

I really, do admire my parents. Someday, I hope I can be like them - happy, humble and wise. And my kind of happiness in future would be just like them.


No comments: